Saturday 16 June 2012

[RVInternetBySatellite] Digest Number 2780

Messages In This Digest (4 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Hughes Net & Direct TV (15 June 2012)

Posted by: "charles" mcchuck1999@yahoo.com   mcchuck1999

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:46 pm (PDT)



I want to thank everyone for the information and advice they gave on here. Prior to getting information on here I didn't know KA from KU bands and I didn't know I couldn't use my 9200 modem and dish with my RV! I called Hughes Net and of course they told me I could use the 9200, but I knew it was BS. They did say I could put my contract on hold for 6 months, so I wouldn't have to pay the cancellation fee. Should I leave the dish and modem here with my sister's and tell them to pick it up or should I take the modem with me and try to trade it for a HN7000S modem? I don't believe they will come to pick it up will they, because I believe I am renting it? I will be leaving here around 25 June, go through Pennsylvania and stay in an RV park near Wellsville, NY and visit with some friends for about a week. then drive west up the Michigan peninsula over the straight to the northern part, then head west ultimately stop in Sioux Falls to the Americas Mail Box and register my vehicles. Then I will go to Montana and visit Glacier Park, then down to Yellowstone, then on to ultimately to Salt Lake City Utah and to spend the winter in Tuscon, Arizona. I sent an e-mail to a place called Montana Satellite asking their physical address, so I could purchase a HN7000S dish and modem, but never got a reply. Is there a newer dish called 7700? Could someone tell me a place on my route where I could pick up a dish and modem I can use to get Hughes Net and Direct TV? Do they use the same satellite? Thank You for all Your Help Chuck

1b.

Re: Hughes Net & Direct TV (15 June 2012)

Posted by: "Skip Knowles" skip2000dsdp@verizon.net   skip_knowles

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:24 pm (PDT)



Charles... you may be locked into some kind of one or two year contract with
Hughes and your 9000 modem. There would probably be a termination fee to get
our from under it. So, consider that before making a decision. look closely
at what you already agreed to. Putting it on hold is a short term thing. You
will be subject to a cancellation fee... I suspect it just extends the
expiration date.

To get mobile the HN7000S and a portable antenna/tripod can be bought on
E-Bay. I'm guessing these days for around $200 ... it all depends on timing.
I have two modems keeping one as a spare with a second power supply. You can
subscribe for the monthly service with on of the VARs.

I've been doing this for six years. The biggest challenge for me was
learning how to set up the system at a campsite... it takes patience and a
lot of practice... even then it can get frustrating. Don has some software
tools that are of great value when setting up the system. Of course there is
the roof mount auto set up antennas that are out there to make it easier.
Their shortcoming is you need to park with a clear shot at the sky to the
antenna you are assigned too.

Skip
=========
I want to thank everyone for the information and advice they gave on here.
Prior to getting information on here I didn't know KA from KU bands and I
didn't know I couldn't use my 9200 modem and dish with my RV! I called
Hughes Net and of course they told me I could use the 9200, but I knew it
was BS. They did say I could put my contract on hold for 6 months, so I
wouldn't have to pay the cancellation fee. Should I leave the dish and modem
here with my sister's and tell them to pick it up or should I take the modem
with me and try to trade it for a HN7000S modem? I don't believe they will
come to pick it up will they, because I believe I am renting it? I will be
leaving here around 25 June, go through Pennsylvania and stay in an RV park
near Wellsville, NY and visit with some friends for about a week. then drive
west up the Michigan peninsula over the straight to the northern part, then
head west ultimately stop in Sioux Falls to the Americas Mail Box and
register my vehicles. Then
I will go to Montana and visit Glacier Park, then down to Yellowstone, then
on to ultimately to Salt Lake City Utah and to spend the winter in Tuscon,
Arizona. I sent an e-mail to a place called Montana Satellite asking their
physical address, so I could purchase a HN7000S dish and modem, but never
got a reply. Is there a newer dish called 7700? Could someone tell me a
place on my route where I could pick up a dish and modem I can use to get
Hughes Net and Direct TV? Do they use the same satellite? Thank You for all
Your Help Chuck

1c.

Re: Hughes Net & Direct TV (15 June 2012)

Posted by: "Don Bradner" donb@arcatapet.com   donbradner

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 pm (PDT)



You will likely just have to get lucky with a Craig's list ad to find one in any particular spot. It will be used, regardless.

The 7700 is/was a dual-LAN version of the 7000. It is not newer, and not better. It was designed for business accounts.

Montana satellite is the best commercial source for the equipment, but I've never run into anyone who dealt with them in any way except via a shipped order.

On 6/16/2012 at 2:46 AM charles wrote:

>I want to thank everyone for the information and advice they gave on
>here. Prior to getting information on here I didn't know KA from KU bands
>and I didn't know I couldn't use my 9200 modem and dish with my RV! I
>called Hughes Net and of course they told me I could use the 9200, but I
>knew it was BS. They did say I could put my contract on hold for 6 months,
>so I wouldn't have to pay the cancellation fee. Should I leave the dish
>and modem here with my sister's and tell them to pick it up or should I
>take the modem with me and try to trade it for a HN7000S modem? I don't
>believe they will come to pick it up will they, because I believe I am
>renting it? I will be leaving here around 25 June, go through Pennsylvania
>and stay in an RV park near Wellsville, NY and visit with some friends for
>about a week. then drive west up the Michigan peninsula over the straight
>to the northern part, then head west ultimately stop in Sioux Falls to the
>Americas Mail Box and register my vehicles. Then I will go to Montana and
>visit Glacier Park, then down to Yellowstone, then on to ultimately to
>Salt Lake City Utah and to spend the winter in Tuscon, Arizona. I sent an
>e-mail to a place called Montana Satellite asking their physical address,
>so I could purchase a HN7000S dish and modem, but never got a reply. Is
>there a newer dish called 7700? Could someone tell me a place on my route
>where I could pick up a dish and modem I can use to get Hughes Net and
>Direct TV? Do they use the same satellite? Thank You for all Your Help
> Chuck
>
>
>
>------------------------------------
>
>Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Don Bradner
www.arcatapet.net

2.

Re: Hughes Net & Direct TV (15 June  2012)

Posted by: "Skip Knowles" skip2000dsdp@verizon.net   skip_knowles

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:00 pm (PDT)



I bought my Directway fiberglass antenna on Craig's list three years when my
Raven lost it's shape from improper storage on my part I suspect. I paid
like
$40 for it.

There are a few antennas and HN7000s modems listed as well. You can get
in for around $200.

Skip
==========
You will likely just have to get lucky with a Craig's list ad to find one in
any particular spot. It will be used, regardless.
The 7700 is/was a dual-LAN version of the 7000. It is not newer, and not
better. It was designed for business accounts.
Montana satellite is the best commercial source for the equipment, but I've
never run into anyone who dealt with them in any way except via a shipped
order.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Bi-polar disorder

Find support

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment